Monday, February 5, 2007

Internet and New Literacies

The website that I found was: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/eslstudent.html

I decided to search for resources regarding ESL students, since I will be graduating with a minor in TESOL. I spent some time search for resources using different types of search techniques and wording. I used combinations of ESL, "elementary education", student, educator, lessons and activities. I was able to find the site searching Google with the search phrase "ESL student". I chose this particular site because I could tell from the URL that it was from a university's website so I figured that it would be credible. My search gave me many different sites to chose from but I preferred this one because it provided me with resources to use for any occasions. Many of the other sites that were shown would only give me sample quizzes and activities for ESL students and I wanted a site that would allow me to find what I was looking for by providing lots of resources. I am planning on using this website in my future classroom in order to find the necessary resources for my ESL students. Since each ESL student will greatly vary from the next ESL student I believe that I will need all the resources I can get in order to successfully them them.


My searching techniques and thoughts have changed a bit after our class concerning new literacies. I know find myself analyzing what kind/type of information I am actually searching for and then thinking about the best way to find that information. I now understand that there are differences in search engines, metasearch engines and directory and that each type is used for a particular reason. I think that my new understand of searching the Internet will help me to be more productive and efficient in my searching.

No comments: